Sunday, July 16, 2017 / by Admin Prostead
Thanks to Rebecca Ward of 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty, here are the things your agent should be asking before you even set foot in the first home for sale ...
2) Are you working with a lender? If you are not pre-approved, your agent will have the opportunity to help by recommending a lender.
3) What are your maximum acceptable monthly payments? Just because you have been approved for a $600,000 mortgage does not mean you are willing to purchase a $600,000 house. It’s important to assess whether you will be able to handle a specific monthly payment, and you don’t want to waste time viewing homes that you can’t afford.
4) What are your desires and needs? Agents need to help buyers reconcile needs vs. wants and help you realize you may need to compromise on one or both.
5) Do you understand the added costs that come with a home purchase? Many first-time buyers are taken aback when they learn about the need for down payments, earnest money, option fees, appraisal costs, home inspections and, in certain cases, surveys. It’s important for agents to prepare you for the inevitability of out-of-pocket costs.
6) Are you willing to accept potential fees and mandates associated with a homeowner’s association? Some people have strong opinions about HOAs and may not be willing to buy a house in neighborhoods governed by strict rules.
7) Are you planning to live in your new home long-term or do you view it as an investment? While many people see a house as a home, others are more interested in what the property will be worth in five years.
8) What is a deal breaker for you? Some people have unyielding visions of what their new house should look like, while others are much more open-minded. Be sure to clearly identify deal breakers, such as too few bathrooms, no backyard, heavy traffic and proximity to schools. Viewing the wrong house can be a serious waste of time and resources. Avoid this by clearly telling your agent which non-negotiable obstacles might prevent a sale.
Ready to start looking for your dream home? Start your search right now, right here!